Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Our first wedding anniversary!

This weekend Mr. G and I celebrated our first anniversary as husband and wife!  Thankfully the weather in Minneapolis was beautiful and we were so thankful to be able to get outside and enjoy it. 
Before I get to the details of our weekend I wanted to share with you a few of my favorite pictures from our day, it was the most amazing day of my life and I wouldn't change anything!  I told Mr. G on Saturday that if it weren't for the expense I would totally do it again...and exactly the same way!


 
 







Originally we had researched taking a short trip for our anniversary, however Mr. G recently started a new job and with the prices of airfare right now we decided that we would be responsible and spend the weekend in Minneapolis.  Honestly I am so glad we did, it was a great weekend.

On Saturday morning Mr. G had to work for a little while so I rested in bed and waited for him to get home.  We decided to get some lunch at Turtle Bread and it was well worth it.  We both enjoyed a grilled cheese sandwich, I had chips with mine and Mr. G had fries.  While waiting for our food I sampled the pumpkin bar and let me tell you...AMAZING!  So I couldn't resist, I had to have one.

 
This pic was taken after I had enjoyed about half of it, I took just a little less than half of it home and ate it on Sunday.  After lunch we ran errands, we went to Menard's to pick up paint for our living room and dining room and stopped at the grocery store.  Saturday night I made spaghetti for dinner and we spent a quiet evening at home, it was really nice.
 
 
Sunday (our anniversary, May 4th) we enjoyed breakfast at home and I am sure you are thinking, "oh was it breakfast in bed?"  Nope, we have been working on getting our house fixed after we had some water damage this winter and the last thing is to have the living room and dining room painted.  Our painter called and said he could start Sunday if we were open to it, we jumped at the chance to have him start.  So instead of having a romantic breakfast with my husband, I made pancakes and bacon for myself, my husband and our painter Kevin.  It was not a big deal, Mr. G and I laughed about it. 
After breakfast Mr. G and I went to church, we love our church and it felt great to be there on our anniversary.  I teared up a few times, I was so happy to be celebrating our first anniversary and anticipating the arrival of our first child.  We went home to have lunch and pack a bag as we were staying downtown Minneapolis Sunday night.  We left our painter to lock up and decided to get outside and enjoy the weather.  What a better way to do that then a nice walk across the Stone Arch Bridge and enjoy the view of St. Anthony Falls.  It was windy but it was beautiful and there were so many people out.  I even took the time to take a couple of photos.
 




 
Obviously it was windy...look at my hair, yikes!  I absolutely love the Stone Arch Bridge and the St. Anthony Falls area, it is beautiful and always bustling with people.  There are great restaurants and is just a fun area in Minneapolis.  After our walk we checked into our hotel, we stayed at the Le Meridian Chambers Hotel, and because it was our anniversary they upgraded us and put us in a suite.  It was a very nice room, the shower was incredible!  I just love big fancy showers and have a dream bathroom with a beautiful shower in my mind...it will happen one day.  The bed was so comfortable, Mr. G and I enjoyed a 45 minute nap and we both felt refreshed after.
 
Sunday evening we had dinner reservations at Capital Grille, it is a romantic and very nice steakhouse in Minneapolis.  There was a red rose on the table and the manager of the restaurant brought over a glass of champagne for Mr. G and a ginger ale in a champagne glass for me.  Our dinner was fantastic!  We started with salads, I had the special of mixed greens, fuji apple slices, hazelnuts and dried prosciutto tossed in a yummy vinaigrette.  It was supposed to have goat cheese on it but I left it off due to the pregnancy.  Mr. G had the house wedge salad, it looked so good!  I love wedge salads but because I cannot have blue cheese I haven't ordered one since getting pregnant.  For our main course I enjoyed a 10 oz filet mignon and Mr. G enjoyed a 22 oz delmonico steak, I'm not exactly sure what cut that is but it looked good.  We shared the Capital Grille au gratin potatoes, asparagus and roasted mushrooms; all three were delicious.  We both had leftover steak and had leftovers of each of the sides.  Short side note...David our waiter was fantastic and we would request him if we were to go again.  After dinner, David said that the pastry chef was preparing a special anniversary dessert for us.  We were thrilled and knew if the dessert was as good as dinner we were in for a treat and boy were we right!

 


 
 
The dessert was a trio of delectable desserts.  In the top left corner was the homemade ricotta cheesecake with a creme brulee like top, it was smooth & creamy and delicious.  In the bottom left corner were the mixed berries with a strawberry sauce, it was a great compliment to the other two desserts.  In the top right corner was my favorite...the flourless chocolate cake.  It was a dense chocolate cake with a raspberry sauce drizzled over it, to say it was delectable is an understatement.  The "Happy Anniversary" was also made of chocolate.  Our dinner, the service and the romance made for a perfect evening.  If you are looking for a place to have a nice dinner for a special occasion I would highly recommend Capital Grille.  Here is a picture of us after dinner:)
 


 
 
After dinner we retired to our room and enjoyed the remainder of the evening together. 
 
Monday we were both sort of working, we had intended to take PTO but since we were in town we both put in a few hours of work from home.  It was nice just being together but we were still working.
 
I guess I should tell you what I received for our first anniversary, I was blessed with a beautiful sapphire ring with white sapphires around it.  We saw it at a jewelry store while browsing one day a while back and I loved it.  Mr. G remembered and went back to purchase it for our anniversary!! 
I purchased a very nice desk clock for Mr. G, it has his name engraved on it and has two pens with it.  I read that clocks have become a new tradition for 1st anniversaries instead of paper and since he recently started a new job I thought that a nice desk clock was the right decision.  He has been working for this company for 3 months and when he has been there 6 months he will get an office, I envision the clock sitting on his desk in his office.
 
Our anniversary weekend was perfect, I couldn't have asked for better.  We spent the weekend together and that was all I wanted.  Like I told my husband, I look forward to many many many more years together!!  I'm blessed to have a wonderful man like he is.
 
 
With love,

Mrs. G 




No comments:

Post a Comment