Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Nursery (My Old Office) by Mr. G

Mr. G writing this evening. Oh, how times have changed.  One of my favorite rooms of our drafty home is my old office which will soon be the nursery for our little girl come July.  As of the weekend the walls were painted a grayish color and the ceiling painted pink.  White trim and white base boards.  New energy efficient windows will come in a week and a half replacing the old ones that really didn't keep out winter whatsoever.  (Pretty much welcomed the cold wind with open arms and let it gain entry into our home with a handshake.)  Curtains have been purchased from a store I had never step foot in before, Pottery Barn for Kids.

This room used to be my old office when I was a bachelor. A place where my computer was and I would sit and eat a frozen pizza and drink beer while playing video games. There were duck pictures on the wall if I remember correctly.  Or maybe a picture about hockey. Very neutral colors were on the walls and ceiling.  I fondly remember freezing cold winter nights in MN staying home on a Saturday night, looking out the drafty windows on my alley in the back. We have one of the only two stories on the block so I would look out and see the lights of my neighbors flicker down below.  The wind would howl and the snow would fly. It was comforting. There was a jazz program that would play on NPR on Saturday nights and I would listen to it on a clock radio that I had in the adjacent bathroom, the only one in the old house.  It was quiet, warm and relaxing. It was wonderful.

And now, all that has and will change some more. It's forming into a room made for a little girl. A beautiful little girl. A pink ceiling, curtains with pink stripes will soon go up. Gone are the neutral manly colors and my desk has been replaced with a changing table. There's a Pooh bear wearing a tutu that was a gift.  Never would I ever have dreamed that this room would look like this.  Never would I have ever have dreamed all these changes are coming. 

And you know what?  I can't wait!  As much as I will miss my old office, it's but a fleeting thought as the joy that is to come into my life of my little baby daughter who's room has a pink ceiling and a Pooh bear in a tutu.

I hope she likes jazz.  :)

With Love,

Mr G

No comments:

Post a Comment