Thursday, January 9, 2014

First Trimester recap

As of today we begin the exciting second trimester, I've heard so much about energy coming back and less breast tenderness (sorry, TMI) as well as just overall feeling better.  Lets hope that is the truth.

This post is a first trimester recap so lets back up a little bit, and let me start by saying that I was very lucky to have had a relatively easy first trimester compared to some of the horror stories I've heard and read about.

I found out I was pregnant on 11/08/13 and the only reason I knew to take a test was because I was 2 days late.  I had been tracking my cycles and they had been fairly consistent at 39-40 days so when it didn't appear on Friday 11/08 I knew something was up.  There were no symptoms of pregnancy, until the next week.

The symptons hit me like a brick, my energy was gone, I was nauseous on and off throughout the day, my breasts hurt so bad and in a way I cannot even explain and my brain suddenly just disappeared.  The best way I could describe it was a constant hangover.  I was exhausted like I had been out the night before, sick to my stomach and wanted the strangest food just to try to make myself feel better. 
My toothbrush became my worst enemy, total gag-a-thon as soon as I got it close to my mouth!  At my first pre-natal appointment the doctor told me to use mouthwash if I couldn't brush my teeth, I could NEVER go without brushing my teeth so I just gagged through each morning and evening.
I would go to work and try to have a conversation with my co-workers, it usually ended in me forgetting what we were originally talking about and forgetting words in mid-sentence.  Who knows what my co-workers think of me right now (I have only told my boss).

I only vomited once and that was Thanksgiving night; we hosted 15 people in our home for the day and I was exhausted. I believe that my body was telling me that it is in control and if I ever overdo it like that again I will pay...and pay I did! I was a vomitting fool and Mr. G felt terrible that there was nothing he could except get some ginger ale and the crackers ready.

There were some really fun times as well, my husband and I were able to keep our little secret for about three weeks and during that time we celebrated with champagne (for Mr. G) and sparkling juice (for me) in our crystal champagne glasses and made a beautiful dinner in which we enjoyed on our favorite china.  We started talking about names and had some good laughs about the interesting ones each of us came up with.  Hormones got in the way once when we had been discussing names for about 30 minutes and not gotten very far, I started to cry and sort of wailed "our baby will never have a name!".  Needless to say we ended the conversation, my husband made me take a hot and relaxing shower and tucked me in bed.

Telling our parents and siblings of course was a highlight, they are all very excited! 

I also have to admit that hiding our little secret from people has been kind of fun, it feels a little scandalous (in a fun and sweet way).  Here are some examples:

* 11/08 - the day we found out.  We went to my home town to watch my cousin play football, a large part of my family attended the game and after party as well and I wasn't drinking.  I was able to use the excuse that I was driving and the weather was crummy but I knew that wouldn't last long.  (My mom will tell you that she started to have suspicions then but I don't know if I believe her.)

*11/10 - My sisters and I attended a baby shower for a good friend of ours and I knew that there would be some drinks involved...and my sisters wanted to stop for a bloody mary on the way.  I volunteered to drive but when I ordered a ginger ale at the bar they were suspicious, in order to get them off my back I had to tell them I was late and just being cautious...they didn't know that I already knew I was prego!

*11/16 - I hosted a birthday party for Mr. G and 20 of our family and closest friends.  Mr. G picked up the alcohol free wine in order for us to "hide" me not drinking.  It sort of worked, I carried the glass around but barely drank any of it because every time I would try to take a sip I would gag!  That s**t is nasty!  By the end of the night I didn't care and was just drinking sparkling water, our friend Chuck noticed and discreetly inquired...Mr. G did not confirm nor deny the question. (And again, my mom will tell you that she knew something was up for sure after this event.)

*11/18 - I hosted a "plan the shower/bachelorette party" meeting at my house and was forced to drink the fake wine again.  After my older sister and two friends left I told Mr. G that I would never drink that stuff again; I didn't care who speculated.  I was done gagging just to make people think I was drinking.

We had our first pre-natal appointment on Wednesday 11/20 and after everything was confirmed by our doctor and we had the start of our plan of care we began telling our immediate families.  We decided that parents and siblings would be the only ones to know until 12 weeks or as close as we could get.

All in all I feel very lucky and blessed to have had a fairly uneventful first trimester, to all you momma's and momma's to be that had a rough one...I am so sorry! 

Some of the posts coming up:
* Telling our families
* Our first ultrasound
* Pregnancy and hypothyroidism
* The things people don't tell you!
* Weekly bumpdates:)


With love,

Mrs. G

No comments:

Post a Comment