Thursday, February 20, 2014

Water damage and tired of the Minnesota Winter!

I'm quite behind on my week 19 bumpdate, I promise to post it later today, but we have been dealing with the joys (insert sarcasm) of the Minnesota winter.

Let me back up for just a moment, last weekend we had our stairway leading to our upstairs and our hallway upstairs painted.  We are working on getting some things updated and fixed up prior to the baby coming.  Our painter worked all weekend, did a fantastic job and even offered to come start the ceiling in the living room on Monday, his day off. 

I was able to work from home on Monday due to the painter and the lovely snowstorm we got, about 4-5 inches of new snow.  The painter finished up about mid-day and was on his way.
The temperature began to increase and by 7pm was about 33 degrees, we knew that Tuesday and Wednesday were going to be very nice...about 40 degrees. 
That type of a thaw in Minnesota is known to cause water damage due to ice dams, which is the back up of ice that can eventually cause water underneath the shingles and into the house.

At 6:30am on Tuesday morning I woke up to a strange sound downstairs, it sounded like my kitchen broom had fallen and the handle hit the floor.  I sent Mr. G down to check it out and when I heard my normally quiet husband exclaim "OH NO!  OH MY GAWD!!!" I knew something was bad.
I went scrambling downstairs to find a portion of our living room ceiling falling into our living room, it reminded me of skin peeling.  Water was dripping out all over our hard wood floors and a leather chair that was directly below the issue...it was a big mess.  I couldn't believe it, as if it wasn't bad enough the ceiling had been painted the day before!

We took a bunch of pictures for the insurance company, collected the biggest pieces of the ceiling in case the insurance company wanted to see them and after chatting with the insurance company I began the clean up process.  Luckily we have hard wood floors and I was able to sweep some of it up and then wash the floors.  I put out buckets and towels so the floors wouldn't get ruined and then cleaned up the leather chair and put a fan on it to dry it out.

My day was spent with insurance adjustors, general contractors and concerned family members calling to make sure we didn't need anything. 

Our general contractor assessed the damage and told us that the entire living room ceiling will need to be opened up, foam and new insulation will need to be put in and then the ceiling closed and fixed.  He said that Mr. G had done a great job keeping snow off the roof but that the big thaw was a perfect storm for leaks like this.  The job will take them about 2-3 weeks, we may have to move out during that time due to dust and it not being safe.  We are hoping that the insurance company pays for a hotel and that we don't have to inconvenience our family members too much.

While we love living in Minnesota close to both sides of the family it is times like this that I would love to live somewhere warmer and not have to deal with snow and ice!  But I am guessing it would just be something different in a warmer climate.

I hope all of you stay safe as these winter storms travel throughout the country, we are expecting an additional 10-12 inches today.  Working from home is an option I am truly thankful for!

With love,

Mrs. G


No comments:

Post a Comment