Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Lessons learned from Mom!

Most of us learn a lot of very valuable lessons from our parents, I am no exception, they raised their children to the best of their abilities thus supplying them with lessons to apply throughout adulthood.  I thought it would be fun to put a short list of lessons I learned from my mother, not the serious lessons about love and life....more so the fun small lessons that at the time I likely rolled my eyes and thought, "I'm never going to need this info".

Here are five lessons I learned from my mother, these are supposed to be fun and not serious:)

1.  Never use generic dish soap, always buy Dawn Dish Soap. 
I learned this one the hard way, Mr. G went to the store and picked up some generic dish soap (instead of Dawn).  This by no means was his fault, I simply asked him to get some dish soap and a few other things we needed at home.  I began using the generic soap and quickly realized that I needed to keep adding more because the soap just kept disappearing.  After some contemplation I laughed out loud and told Mr. G that once again.... Mom was right (shhh, don't tell her).  When using Dawn dish soap I don't have to use much and it works like a charm.
* Dawn dish soap did not pay me to write about their product, these are my own personal feelings about the soap.

2.  Sewing on a button. 
My mom taught me how to sew a button at about the age of 15, I'm sure at that time I thought she was nuts and just didn't want to do it for me.  But as the years have gone on her lesson has come in handy so many times!  The buttons on coats, shirts, jackets, etc are not sewn on very well and often times come loose or fall off quickly....I just snip off the button, find some matching thread and fix it right up!

3.  Don't call in sick to work unless you are sick. (This one is from both Mom & Dad)
My parents are very hard workers and have been throughout my life, they both instilled a sense of hard work in all of my siblings along with myself.  One of the things that I remember hearing them say over and over again was "never call in sick to work unless you are really sick."
In the interest of full disclosure, I have called in sick when I wasn't 100% sick.  However, I do try to remember this lesson as much as possible.  Let's be honest, everyone needs a mental health day every now and then...even if that includes wine with your girlfriends;)

4.  Always eat a little something before you go out drinking. (Remember, I am from Wisconsin)
I was a good kid and teenager, I didn't drink while I was in high school...I chose not to and enjoyed being a three sport athlete.  Once I got to college I experienced a few parties and enjoyed myself but I was always very careful.  While home on Thanksgiving break I attended a party hosted by one of my high school friends and before I left the house my mom asked if I had eaten anything.  My response was, "Nah, I had a few M&M's...I should be fine."  Needless to say the next morning I wasn't so fine; I was hungover and my mother knew it.  She didn't take the opportunity to scold me or torcher me (she could have) but simply said, "next time, eat something before you go out and maybe drink a little less".  She knew I had received a ride home the night before and was with long time friends that she knew well, so she took a moment to give me a little advice before handing me 3 ibuprofen and some water to make me feel better.

5.  Don't underestimate the power of a little mascara and lipstick.
My mother does not wear a lot of makeup, just not her thing.  As I grew up and started to wear a little bit of makeup she often times said to me, "always wear mascara and lipstick, never underestimate those two items".  I live by this little rule even today, whether it means putting a little on before running out to do some errands or even a casual night out.  Sometimes all you need is a little lipstick and mascara.


Like I said at the beginning of this post, these lessons are not the most serious lessons my mother instilled in me but some of the more fun and light hearted lessons.  My parents will be the first to admit that they weren't perfect but tried with all of their hearts and sould to raise good kids and did they absolute best they could.  I feel lucky and blessed to call them my parents and hope and pray that I do things as well as my parents did when I have children.



With love,
Mrs. G

No comments:

Post a Comment