Friday, July 19, 2013

Ring Shopping

Believe it or not, shopping for a ring that not only will your bride where forever, there's the added stress of whether or not you picked the right style etc.  I have trouble picking out clothes in the morning so picking out a ring was a daunting task.

As it turns out, my engagement saga starts out with me going to purchase the ring.  I was fortunate enough to be gifted my Grandma's solitaire which was near perfect.  I took a long lunch from work to go pick out the ring.  Mrs. G and I had looked at rings before on several occasions and had basically decided on a style however when I saw her future ring I knew it was the one!  Two weeks later I was picking it up.  No one ever tells you that buying a ring is a nerve wracking ordeal.  I remember paying for it and my hands were shaking and I was sweating.  The lady handed me the bag and receipt and said "thanks and good luck."  I stood there perplexed with a dumb smile on my face.  I think I was only there for seconds and didn't say anything.  Very awkward.

I walked through the mall with my bag in hand very covertly nearing the exit still quite shaken and sweaty.  A whole range of emotions were going through my head.  Excitement, nerves, excitement for the future and also joy about how the beautiful the ring turned out.  (I still am quite proud of it to this day.)  I just knew I had to get out of the mall and back to my car and back to work!  All of a sudden I hear my name yelled!  Did I hear that correctly??  Someone's yelling my name.  It was my college roommate and good friend who was at Big Bowl waiting for his computer to be fixed.  He asked me "whatcha doing here?"  Well, I showed him the bag and took out the ring and said "you tell me."  His reply, "Sweating a bit, are ya?"

Now, that evening my family and my future bride's family were going to a social event.  Plus, I had to go pick up the future Mrs. G after work.  What to do with the ring????  I can't have it kicking around in the back seat.  Someone had told me to put it underneath the spare tire in the trunk.  Panicked, I did it.  Soooo, unbeknownst to my future bride, her engagement ring was underneath the spare.  Other than getting a flat tire, I figured it was a safe hiding spot. That evening a whole crew of people were in that car and we had to park it in a parking lot for the event.  It made me very nervous out there and I kept trying to look out to see if was safe.

That evening getting home it was pouring rain.  I didn't want to leave it in the car over night even though it was in a garage.  Getting home around 10 PM, I pulled the lame excuse, I'm not sure if I closed the garage door.  I zipped upstairs and put on my baggiest pair of shorts with big pockets and ran into the pouring rain.  She thought I was crazy but I wasn't going to leave it out there over night!  Came back in soaked and found a hiding spot for the ring until the big event.

Which is a post for another time......

Sincerely,

Mr. G

No comments:

Post a Comment